Rev-Trac is being used more frequently today as an SAP change orchestrator for organizations that adopt DevOps or other strategies to improve their development capabilities and respond more quickly to market demands.
One of the more popular toolsets used by development teams across the board is certainly Jira. Here at Rev-Trac, we use Jira to track and manage our ABAP and non-ABAP development activities, plan product roadmap initiatives, and of course, allocate tasks to sprints for work.
The ability to prioritize a backlog of work, visibility into individuals’ effort, and proposed deadlines – all are extremely valuable to the development team lead and project/product managers.
Teams who use Rev-Trac to manage SAP work and deployments can benefit from integrating with Jira. That’s why we built an integration with Jira, so organizations using SAP can plan their work in Jira and deploy and collect a change audit trail using Rev-Trac.
Why integrate with Jira?
Of course, every environment is quite different, but some of the best value integration outcomes include:
- Manage a Backlog in Jira and create Rev-Trac requests once the Jira ticket is allocated to a Sprint and moved to In Progress
- Synchronize the Rev-Trac request status back to Jira so that it is easy to tell where the change exists within the SAP landscape
- Allocate Rev-Trac request to Releases using the Fix/Version value in Jira, which allows for release planning in Jira and synchronization of Rev-Trac requests to a matching release.
The possibilities are endless and completely flexible with the way that an organization is using both Rev-Trac and Jira.
What you should know
Some of the things to consider when planning an integrated process for your organization:
- Rev-Trac and Jira use REST APIs and Webhooks to communicate
- There should be a 1-to-1 relationship between a Jira ticket and a Rev-Trac change request
- The primary function performed by the integration is to synchronize fields. The logic around automation, dependencies or limitations after a field achieves a particular value, should be built into the respective system
The Rev-Trac Customer Success Team is here to help our customers workshop these processes and providing a useful approach to integrating Rev-Trac with other 3rd party tools, including Jira. To get a better understanding of how the above scenario might work, check out this short video demonstration.